A clear essay structure is essential to help the reader find their way through your argument easily. Here are a few points to keep in mind for your essay writing:-
The purpose of your introduction is:-
– To set the scene for the rest of the essay. Introduce the field of study and briefly explain the importance of the matter to be discussed or solved by the essay.
– To set out the structure that the rest of the essay will take. This is called ‘signposting’ and it is vital to use this technique clearly throughout your essay. Signposting makes it clear where the argument will go next and makes sure that your reader does not get confused or disorientated.
– To make a statement of your key argument. The introduction should be written last because your opinion is likely to change as you read more.
We divide our writing into paragraphs to make it easier to read. You can imagine how difficult it would be to read a book with no paragraphs, where the text was just one continuous stream. However, paragraphs do not randomly divide the text. When you write your essays, remember that each paragraph should develop one theme or topic.
In every paragraph there is one sentence which standing alone explains the topic of that paragraph. This is the topic sentence. Take any book at random and analyze a paragraph. Find the topic sentence. It is usually the first sentence in a paragraph, but it doesn’t have to be. The rest of the paragraph will develop the idea in the topic sentence.
If a paragraph doesn’t have a topic sentence and if it does not stick to a theme it becomes difficult for the reader, as the ideas presented in that paragraph flit from subject to subject.
our conclusion should:-
– State the answer to the title. You will have already done this in the body of the text, but the conclusion states it in summary.
– The conclusion must not introduce any new information or new ideas or possible arguments.
– However, it may make suggestions about where possible research could go.
Are you confused about essay structure? Let us know. Post a comment below.